Sorry for the silence for the last six months, I've been snowed under trying to finish the last little bits of my thesis ready for submission. Almost there!
After my enforced two month rest at the end of the cross country season in March it took me a little while to get back into the swing of things. I finally managed to get myself fit enough to race at the end of June. Although I was running well on the track and on long training runs I couldn't produce a reasonable race performance. After an abysmal BMAF 5k track race where I clocked a very disappointing 19.08 I decided it was time to question my training programme.
After much deliberation and boring my fellow runners to tears we came to the conclusion that although my speed at the track was reasonable and my stamina during long runs was sufficient my speed endurance wasn't up to scratch.
I decided to add a 3 mile pace run to my training schedule once a week. We are very lucky and have an excellent undulating 3 mile route round the village, so no need to drive anywhere. After 3 weeks I was able to complete the run at the same pace as the BMAF 5k track race.
I have been lucky enough to run the 3k at the Southern Athletic League matches for Cambridge and Colridge this season. The last match of the season at the beginning of September was my chance to see if the pace runs in addition to my track sessions and long runs would be effective in improving my speed endurance. I managed a PB, knocking 18 seconds off my 3k time from the month before so was over the moon and pleased that the extra session a week was so beneficial.
A couple of weeks later the Jaffa vs Stowmarket 5k track challenge was the perfect opportunity to test whether I could carry the improved speed endurance over a longer distance. I started at the back and ran conservatively for the first 4 laps before winding the pace up, overtaking 8 athletes and knocking 47 seconds off my PB with a time of 18.21. I couldn't believe it, a club record, race win and PB :-) Very happy Little Bloke!
The cross country season is around the corner; my first race is this Saturday. I'm hoping to up the game a little this year and improve my cross country performances. I feel I'm in a good place fitness-wise; the last couple of Wednesday sessions at the track, although longer have felt very comfortable as did tonights track session of 24x300m in 57-58 seconds.
Fingers crossed.......................................
No comments:
Post a Comment