The Wednesday League Cross Country returned to UEA on the 21st November. It was the usual course round Earlham Park with a few undulations, bit of grass, bit of woodland and a stretch along the very muddy river bank. I had a solid race, worked hard and couldn't have run any faster finishing first lady. For some reason I wasn't entirely happy with the run, I'm not sure why but think it may have been due to enjoying the essex league race a few days before so much that it almost felt like an anti-climax.
I checked my garmin data when I got home and was a few seconds quicker than the year before so certainly not a slump performance wise. Maybe I'm just being a bit of a whinge!
A couple of swim sessions and an easy gym session set me up for the Norwich Half Marathon on Sunday 24th Novemeber. I hadn't run a half marathon for years but fancied a crack at Norwich. I have to say it was the toughest conditions I have ever raced in. I decided to swap my favourite saucony racing shoes for my heavy training shoes just before the start as I didn't feel the conditions would enable me to run on my midfoot and needed a bit more stability in the heavy wind. The conditions were so blustery that in the head wind I could only manage 9 minute miling. I tucked myself in with group of men in the first few miles but soon realised that the pace was too slow and that I would have to go ahead alone if I was going to dip under 90 minutes.
I got thrown about a lot and tried to make up some time in the sheltered sections so was very pleased to finish in 1:27:51. Being the type of person who likes to dot all the i's and cross all the t's I am not happy with this so plan on another half marathon in the spring to chase a PB, club record and satisfactory time!
We hd a lovely meal out with my Mum and Gran afterwards, paid for with the prize money for finishing 5th lady so all in all a productive day. We got back in time to knock a few vodka's back whilst watching the Brazilian Grand Prix; great to see Jenson finish the season with a win :-)
I didn't run again until Wednesday and completed 5x 4 minutes at the track at 88 pace. Another swim session on Thursday and a gym session in the morning and half an hour on the treadmill in the evening on Friday rounded off the week nicely. I managed to fit in a hill session in Ickworth on Saturday afternoon after work before it got dark, just! Sundays long run at 17.5 miles was a little on the cold side but dry and bright.
I completed a recovery gym session on Monday and Tuesday morning before work. The track was a little too slippery for my liking on Monday night so I completed a steady 16 laps. One of my training aims for the winter is to improve my swimming ready for pentathlon training in the spring so I've now added a swim session on a Tuesday night. I'm aiming for 3-4 swimming sessions a week with a mix of distance training and interval sessions.
The Wednesday League at Whittlingham Country Park in Norwich was my final race of the 2012 season. Having taken it easy on the track on Monday in the icy conditions I decided to work as hard as I could and hurt myself. I got a good start but struggled on the steep steps and got overtaken by 5 men, including Chris who was flying. I managed to re-take 4 but couldn't hang on to Chris who disappeared into the distance. I had a good battle with a chap from the RAF who I usually hang onto for the first lap and then lose contact with in the second lap. We traded places for a lap and a half until I moved up a gear and drew away. I'm really pleased as I've never finished in front of him before. (NB The blokes ran 3 laps and the ladies two laps).
I'm really pleased with the season so far but there is plenty of work to do. I'm off on holiday now for some sun, kingfisher and curry and perhaps a little bit of warm weather training! The real racing starts on January 1st...................................................................................................................
No comments:
Post a Comment